Friday, October 31, 2008

Life sucks sometimes :(

After a long day at work, I was cribbing to a friend about how I am overworked and underpaid (not paid actually), when he asked me why I was cribbing when I liked what I was doing.
Well, that got me thinking-

Who likes working in hospitals?
Who likes watching patients suffer in agony and cry out in pain? Even worse- when you are the one making them cry out …
Who eagerly awaits the time when you have to talk to anxious relatives, and console them when they are moved to tears.
Who likes saying- he may get better… or not… It may take time… We don’t know when…. Well, it sucks!
It sucks to have questions thrown at you when you don’t have the answers.
It sucks that you have put in more than your best and still it’s not enough.
It sucks that some one your age is just lying there, on that bed, waiting for it to happen.. praying that today might be ‘the day’ when he might start to get his limbs back, start moving, or even start feeling them; when you are prancing around the world…
It sucks that life is just really unfair sometimes, and for people who don’t deserve it; when there are loads of shitty people just living it up!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well ,

Life is like that. As a doc your atleast giving patients hope even if they dont have any...

Think of the feeling when a person who had broken his legs walks up to u to wish you and thank you

Think of all the blessings you will get from the patient's family.

Life is not all that bad ...

Goli said...

I agree with you. I have a doctor friend who works in AIIMS and every time she has scary stories to tell. And all times I keep wondering how unfair life is.

- Ubiquitous - said...

I can imagine how tough it must be for you to stay in your senses after going through this, day after day.

I guess it's important to take some time off each day for yourself to come to terms with it and deal with it to the best you can at least.

Anonymous said...

Hmm..I do agree, it is unfair sometimes to witness such things in life.But look at it this way as Anoop said, when a patient comes and tells you, 'Gee thanks Doc. I am back on my feet because of you'. That is a great feeling, in short an achievement.
Don't lose heart. Have faith & courage in your profession and yourself and give the same faith & courage to your patients.

kalpathi said...

Heyy!
Thanks for the ego boost :) :)

Perception said...

If everything was perfect, could we tell the perfect from the not?

Music7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Music7 said...

I agree Anu...shit happens!
especially to those who dont deserve it!
If its your day, you may survive the worst accident of your life! or you may succumb to the most irrelevant one..
Yeah, Docs play a role and they save lives blah blahh..
(sorry,am in a bad mood today..so I may not sound very encouraging!!) But keep working. We dont live in a perfect world anyways...

PainfullyYours said...

this is the first hand "something" am getting to hear from a doctor. :)

somehow, it made me feel happy to hear ur perception about the whole hospital thing.
good emotions